Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thoughts for the Day...


Quickies, Shorts, Short Stories


Back in the days before the advent of epublishing, authors wrote collections of short stories. They still do and mainstream NY publishing houses still put them out. But from what I've seen, they are not publishing as many. Short stories used to be a way for a new author to break into the publishing world. It makes me wonder if some of the authors we consider icons would be rejected today, not only because of these economic times, but because of the changing demands and literary tastes of the public.

I started out writing poetry and short stories. Lately I find myself revisiting those familiar forms and it feels comfortable, a lot like coming home. If I were to put together a collection of short stories to send to a NY house, I doubt I'd garner even a reply. But I can write a great short work or a series of short stories and an epublisher will not only read it, if they like it, they'll publish it. The world of ebooks is a great venue for a short story writer.

I know...I know, sometimes we call them Quickies or Novellas, but what they really are is short stories.

4 comments:

  1. Quickies is a far more evocative word...mmmm. Oh! What? Were you saying something? I was lost in contemplation here. You are right! They are simply short stories. I think they like to say "Novella" because it makes the reader feel better about paying $5 for the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the word Quickie is quite evocative. The ebook world is a good outlet for short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia,
    I love the short story and that's how I "broke" into publishing. I started reading erotica in Black Lace and Secrets anthologies and was hooked! It's a great way to get to know several authors. I'm glad e publishing recognizes and promotes the shorter stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of short stories. Years ago, most writers wanting to 'break in' wrote full length novels which took months and months of hard work. These days I enjoy the shorter works. If you think about it, these days with frantic schedules, a shorter book fits the bill for many readers.

    ReplyDelete